Do you want to know the secret on how you can pass Jamb without cheating?
Many who are about to write jamb for the first time are always apprehensive about the exam, they’ve heard gory details from their predecessors, and they are convinced that JAMB is the hardest exam they can ever undertake.
Many still ask questions like “Is it possible to pass JAMB? Is it possible to score above 300 in JAMB? Can I pass JAMB without cheating?” in this article, you’ll get an answer to all these questions, if you can take your time to read this article and apply the guidelines, be sure that you’ll ace your JAMB exams excellently.
First, we must establish some basic facts, he who fails to prepare has prepared to fail. Therefore, Preparation is the main ingredient of the passing jamb, when you prepare adequately, there’ll be no reason whatever to cheat.
Also, it’s not just about preparing but preparing the right way, the method and techniques you apply in preparing will determine if it will be the simplest exam you’ve ever written or the hardest. Let’s check out some of the techniques for preparing right!
- Start Preparing on time!
The mistake most JAMBites makes is to start preparing at a time closer to the examination period; JAMB is an exam that needs a long period to prepare for adequately, never get caught suddenly, start reading those past questions and related textbooks the minute you register for the next JAMB. Don’t postpone or dillydally in your reading, get down right to it!
- Set a Goal And Be Ready to Exceed It.
You don’t only want to ace your JAMB exam, but you want to excel in your scores, therefore, setting a score goal will keep you focused and determined, it will help you to outline your timetable and how many hours you want to devote to your reading, in essence, if you intend to score 300 and above, then you know that you must be ready to lessen watching of TV, playing of games and hanging out to the most minimal level so that you can devote your time to studying, if possible, discuss with your parents in a most polite manner to excuse you from the tasking and time-consuming house chores so that you can concentrate on working towards getting that 300+ score.
- Be Resourceful!
Don’t depend only on past questions, employ other related and recommended textbooks, employ the use of the JAMB syllabus and ensure you cover all topics in it as no question is set outside of the syllabus, I hope you know that’s a JAMB secret? Yes, once you can cover the syllabus, you’re good to go. Read up on articles that have updated information about JAMB, know everything there is to know, ask questions on things that you’re not clear about, talk to those who had undergone the exam before and familiarized yourself with the layout of the exam.
- Know your Weakness and Strength
This is one common mistake most JAMBite make a lot, they intend to pass but do not focus on their weak subjects, you must know what subjects you are good at and the ones you are not so good at, outline them out, then draw out a timetable, including the subjects and how much time you will like to devote to each of the subjects, remember to focus on the weak ones, don’t get caught enjoying solving those maths equation that you forget to work on your Concord. That doesn’t mean, though, that you should neglect your strengths totally, you must be able to strike a balance. Also, try to avoid any distractions while reading, work on your attention level and zero your mind on your goal, that way you can keep focused.
- Attend a good UTME coaching center.
As much as its cool to read by yourself, you’ll find it easier to have a good grasp of the textbooks and past questions when being taught; you’ll have a more experienced and well-versed tutor who will walk you through the theatrics of JAMB.
- Don’t forget the place of prayer.
As you prepare towards your exams by studious reading, remember to pray along so that you’ll have the wisdom, understanding and retentive memory needed before and during your JAMB exams.
If you keep to these guidelines, be ensured then, that you’ll pass your JAMB without stress and you can be confident of having 300 and above. Remember to stay confident and stay positive.
What To Know About JAMB’s Marking Scheme
Note that JAMB Examination subjects consist of the following:
- Use of English: this is mandatory for all and contains 100 questions to be answered.
- Any other three relevant subject which depends on the preferred choice of the candidates. These subjects contain 50 questions each.
However, all subjects carry 100 marks each which make the examination a total of 400 marks for the four subjects. Many believe that the ‘Negative marking’ scheme is being employed, negative marking is the automatic cancellation of one right answer if another is wrongly answered.
However, JAMB does not support Negative Marking; you are graded with the exact Mark you answered rightly.
Most people make errors and inevitably do not pass because they do not possess some information vital to answering JAMB questions, some of them are listed below:
- When answering a question, check the Answers that are more reasonable, some questions contains options that just don’t fit in to the question asked, so if you are not sure of the answer to a particular question, simply use the Elimination Method, remove the unreasonable questions first and then pick out the reasonable one, its highly possible it’s the correct answer.
- Most times when answering questions, you’ll have a strong urge in your mind about the answer, it’s best to also follow the urge.
- A good method is also to check the pattern in which your correct answers follow, for example, if you have; 1. A B 3.C 4.D 5.D 6.C 7.B….. guess what the answer for eight will be, most likely A.
- Don’t try and attempt Use of English first; it will consume your time, attempt others and come back to it.
- Once you’re stuck on a particular question, leave it alone so that it doesn’t waste your time, go on and answer the ones you know and then come back for those difficult ones if there is still time, but ensure that you don’t leave any question unshaded, make sure you shade them, even if randomly, it might just turn out to be the answer!
Having all this information at the tip of your hand, I wish you good luck with your forthcoming examination.